Oct 10, 2012

The End

In my last post I talked about all the adventures we’ve been on this year.

Of all the roads we’ve traveled.

And, if you remember, there was ONE ROAD to the south that we hadn’t driven down yet.
Just that ONE ROAD that was calling our names…

We finally answered that call.
Scooter was on break from school,
you know, the annual
POTATO VACATION,
so he and I traveled to Flatlandia to spend our week there.

The first part of the week was spent trying to work out
how to fit more pieces into our life puzzle:

* We looked at a lot we’re in the process of purchasing
* Interviewed two possible builders
* Dropped financial records off at the bank for the construction loan
* Finally settled on a house plan that we BOTH like

Yes, we definitely feel like we’re moving forward in a positive way.
Our fingers are staying crossed that things will start falling into place
and we can break ground
SOON
on this house we want to build!

We got all that done EARLY so we could spend the weekend
PLAYING.

{Have you noticed that’s what we do on the weekends? WE PLAY!!}

So,we loaded up the car,
pointed it in a SOUTHWARD direction
and put the pedal to the metal.
(Metaphorically speaking, of course.)

Scooter was very excited about this adventure’s destination.
He has been there once before in his life,
but it has been 8 years ago.
Too long ago to remember.
Even for a kid who seems to have an almost photographic memory.

He talked almost non-stop the entire 4 hours of the drive.
Ok. Nothing new there. But he was so happy to be going.

As we approached our destination, his excitement levels were hard to contain.
He was bouncing up and down in his seat.
He was looking out the window, right and left, not knowing when he’d see it.
His voice was getting louder.
He was saying things like,
“I mean, it just has to be SPECTACULAR!”
”The unparalleled beauty of this place will be astounding.”
{ok. I don’t think he actually said the second statement, but it was very similar to it.}

And then we came around the corner.
And he saw it….

He saw THIS….

DSC_0411

and I think at that moment,
he felt that his life was complete.
He exclaimed in delight.
He used words that I can’t remember.
Big adjectives that only a kid that belongs to the
Nerd Herd
would think of using.

And he was happy.

DSC_0389

 DSC_0397a

 

 

 

 

 


DSC_0400

 

 

My boy is also a conservationist.
He is adamant about preserving National Parks and Monuments.
He earned his Junior Ranger badge for YNP last year and is intent on earning
as many badges as he can.
But it’s not just earning the badges that he wants to do.
He believes, with all his heart, that when he wears that badge,
it’s his DUTY
to take care of the place he’s in.
He feels compelled to make sure that people respect the area.
He cleans up trash.
He educates himself.
He protects the natural environment by not picking wild flowers,
by staying on designated trails and pathways,
by staying away from wildlife and refraining from feeding them.
And, most importantly,
by following ALL THE RULES that he is aware of.

Look at his serious face as Ranger Stephanie gives him the
Swearing In Ceremony for the Junior Ranger Program at Mt. Rushmore.
(I didn’t know she’d do it, otherwise I would have been more prepared and gotten more pictures of
the solemn moment.)

DSC_0408

We enjoyed our time at Mt. Rushmore.
It was cold.
FREEZING cold.
And, being the kind of mommy that plans ahead, (ahem…)
I made sure we all had winter coats, hats, gloves and scarves.
NOT!!

For the 29° {nighttime temps,}
we were bundled up in
a) one hoodie
b) one jacket
c) cotton knit gloves
(which we bought at Walmart on our way out of town)
Brrrrr…..

DSC_0399

DSC_0451

We LOVED the Black Hills.
It’s such a beautiful area!
We are anxious to explore that area a little more.
We want to spend more time there.
Who knew that South Dakota could have such pretty landscape?
What a pleasant surprise!

But, there was ONE MORE PLACE we wanted to take Scooter to.
Another beautiful landmark that we visited on that same journey 8 years ago.
So, we got back in the car for another few hour’s drive.

I was driving.
Because that’s what I do.
I get car sick, very easily, and it’s just better for me to be behind the wheel.

However, I was ready to turn the driving over to Flynn when we came over a hill
and around a corner and we saw this:

DSC_0455DSC_0457

Both Flynn and Scooter
made such loud exclamations of
Awe,
Joy,
Wonder,
Delight
that they scared the daylights out of me and I almost wrecked the car.
(I didn’t see the initial view of Devil’s Tower, because I was too busy
WATCHING THE ROAD!)

We arrived five minutes before the Ranger Station closed so luckily Scooter was able to get the
booklet and information he needed for his Junior Ranger Badge.
No swearing in here, though, because he hadn’t officially completed everything he
needed.
We promised the Ranger that we’d complete it and she gave us the badge.

The rest of the time here was spent walking around the base of this great monolith.
As well as ogling the crazy brave souls that we saw climbing straight up the walls.
(My cousin is a rock climber. I actually find it completely fascinating.
I hope that he comes here to climb some day! It would be fun to come watch him!)

DSC_0468

DSC_0470DSC_0478DSC_0491

^^This is as far up as my intrepid
explorers dared to climb.^^


It was with sadness that we turned the car back toward Flatlandia.
We’re always sad when our adventures have to come to an end.
However, it was a super weekend!
We made plenty of Memories, which was our goal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We stopped at both those places when we drove to Nauvoo a few years ago. I loved South Dakota! I thought it was so beautiful. I'm glad you were able to take you Potato Break time to explore it. I can't wait to see more of your new house I hope it all works out!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow! What a fun "little" trip!

Loved meeting your little nerd at the Farmer's Market. What a cutie!

Sounds like things are falling into place. I'm sure that it isn't happening fast enough, but at least the right direction.

Great to be able to see you in person TWICE in one week.
You are beautiful!

Connie said...

Looks like you had great fun during the potato vacation! I have never been to South Dakota. Your pictures make me want to go!