Oct 15, 2012

Betty’s Pensieve Blog

I think it’s time I unloaded a few random things that have been floating through the dark abyss in the center of my cranium.

I wish I had a Pensieve, like Dumbledore in the Harry Potter books.
I could take my thoughts out, keep them safely swirling around in a big bowl when I don’t need them,
and pull them out one by one as the need arises.
But since my name is Betty, not Dumbledore, and I’m about as magical as my computer mouse,
I’ll have to stick to using my blog as my Pensieve.

Here’s what I’d put in it today:

My beloved neighbor, Jillwanna, left me!
She moved away.
Far, far away.
Okay, she only moved 5 miles out of town, but that means she’s not my next door neighbor anymore!
It breaks my heart because – you know – I was the one that was supposed to move!
As Scooter said, “Mom, don’t you know that Jillwanna has been my next door neighbor
MY WHOLE LIFE?”
We have a lot of history!
I cried when they left and I still miss them terribly.
*sigh*
I hope the new neighbors
(who seem very nice, BTW)
don’t mind if I need to borrow a pint or two of sour cream; or 1/2 dozen eggs; or use their oven all day on Christmas Eve; or load their freezer full of baked goods or yell from my window to theirs; or…..

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I feel like I’m going blind!!
All my life I’ve prided myself on my GREAT vision!
I mean, what are the odds that I have NEVER needed glasses, when both my parents wear glasses?
All my siblings have needed some sort of vision correction at some point in their lives.
And me, well, I was sitting here all prideful at the fact that I can read the
teeny tiny printing on that label,
– or –
see that license plate on the car 1/2 mile ahead.
Up close or far away – I had it covered!
Can you imagine my absolute and utter HORROR
when, at the store the other day, I picked up an unfamiliar item,
and turned it over to see what the directions for use were
I COULDN’T READ THE LABEL!!!
I held it at arm’s length…
I couldn’t read it!
I pulled it up close…
I couldn’t read it.
I strained my eyes and tried with all the might I could muster…
I COULDN’T READ THE DARNED THING!!
I had to put the item back on the shelf, still not knowing what it was.

Getting old stinks.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

I have lived in Zion for a long time.
And I have followed the blog of a fellow Zionite for a couple years.
But we have never met… until last week!
Tauna at Garden of Egan is a FUN person.
She’s married to her LOVE – Howie.
She is a mother and grandmother to some wonderful human beings.
She raises chickens and cats – in the same yard!
She is a candy maker extraordinaire, decorator to die for and
compassionate ER nurse.
I knew I would like her and I looked for her in all the stores around town.
But we never crossed paths.
One morning last week I popped into the ER
(wearing my walking clothes, hair barely brushed and no make-up on)
where I was going to pick up some things from a friend who works there.
When my friend came out the door, Tauna came with her!
It was so fun to meet her!
She gave me a hug and it was just like old friends being reunited.
(She was so sweet and didn’t cringe at my unruly appearance.)

Later that week, at the Farmer’s Market,
lo and behold, I saw her again!
This time we had more time to chit chat.
I think I found a soul sister.
We share so many similarities in our life.

I am thrilled to have finally met Tauna.
She’s so nice and beautiful and I can tell that she also has a
BEAUTIFUL HEART!!

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Tomorrow (October 16) is a red-letter day in our house.
First (and most important) it’s officially
GENDER REVEAL DAY.
Yes, the day that Belle and Beast find out what flavor of baby they’re having.
Their doctor’s appointment is at 9 am.
They have agreed to close their eyes at a certain point during the sonogram
and have the technician write down the gender on a card and SEAL it in an envelope.
They have promised not to peek.
Then they will bring the envelope home to me,
(the most beautiful grandmother :-) )
and I will make a batch of cupcakes in the correct color
pink or blue
that will be served at a
Gender Reveal Party
for family and a couple close friends later that evening.

(Pictures and information will be forthcoming!)

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

The second – but not quite as exciting -- thing that happens tomorrow
is the arrival of our much anticipated
iPhone 5’s.
{Happy Dance} {Happy Dance}.
18 months ago, I brought home my first ‘smart phone’, which was a Droid X.
I chose the Droid over the iPhone because…
well….
I felt like I had paid enough money to the iGods:
iTunes
iPod
iPod Touch
iPad
are all devices that are used by our family.
Seriously, it’s a little disturbing, so I felt like sharing the wealth a little bit.
I have to say that within the week, I regretted my choice.
I didn’t like the Droid at all.
I wished that I had an iPhone in my hand instead.
I had 30 days to trade the Droid in, but I held out hope that I would change my mind.
I thought that maybe I didn’t like it because I wasn’t used to it yet.
I realized on Day 31 that my mind wasn’t going to change… AT ALL…
and that I was stuck with this phone for two full years.

And then, (cue the heavenly choir singing “Hallelujah”) I received a notice that I didn’t have
to wait the full term to upgrade.
Tears of joy filled my eyes.

Flynn was just as excited.
He had an iPhone when he worked in Mordor, but had to turn it in when his employment ended.
So he went back to a basic cell phone.
Just a phone that makes phone calls and texts.
(Remember what those are?)

When we found out that we could upgrade, we started saving our money.
And, on October 5, when the upgrade time finally arrived,
I called my Verizon provider and said,
”GET ME MY iPHONE 5!!”
The helpful man on the other end of the phone said,
”YES MA’AM! They will be here on October 26.”
and I told him I loved him. ♥ ♥

The iGods have forgiven my Droid weakness and shipped my phone here faster than expected.
It’s in transit and expected to be delivered tomorrow afternoon by 4:30.

I may be in the middle of baking pink or blue cupcakes, but I will put that handmixer down
and head over to the Verizon store.
And then I will officially be… COOL.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

And that is what I will put in my Pensieve today.
Now there is some available room for more frivolous thinking.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Sorry your neighbor moved.

Okay I laughed about the whole sight thing--I KNOW JUST HOW YOU FELT--I FELT THE SAME WAY. I didn't think it would ever happen to me ; (

How fun that you got to meet Tauna. She seems like such a fun person--JUST LIKE YOU!!!!

I have a cell phone that you use to just call and text--oh well, it costs me enough money JUST TO DO THAT.

I'm curious if you are going to try to get tickets for the Christmas performance of the Tab Choir with Alfre Boe???

So, I'm guessing by now you know the sex of the baby. EXCITING.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

YOU ARE SO STINKIN' SWEET!!!!!!
It was truly a blast to meet you in the ER. I couldn't believe the coinkydink that Diana said your name and that she was going out there to meet you. You should have seen my ears perk up! "I'm going out there with you" I said. SO happy that I did.
You looked so cute and I was jealous I wasn't in my workout clothes.
AND then to meet at the Farmers Market! We could have talked for hours ya know.......cuz we are soul sistas.

This blogging thing is pretty awesome and I have loved running into you.

Oh by the way....you are gonna be the best granma!

PS...why didn't we take a silly picture with our silly smart phones! I would have loved to have one!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

OH, how is the iTHING! I think a 5 would be too awesome.
You are way cooler than anyone I know.