Jan 4, 2012

Scooter Speaks

I really need to be done posting and go to bed, but I have to record something funny that Scooter said tonight.

I don’t even remember what we were talking about. I was running between the kitchen and the dining room… Scooter and I were playing a game of Battleship while some of the treats I’m baking for this weekend’s reception were in the oven.

We were having some sort of conversation.

Scooter’s mind never stops. He’s always thinking. Always creating. Always computing. I was busy squeezing lemon curd into cookie cups and he says to me,

“Mom, if I was dead, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

I’m pretty sure I squeezed lemon curd all over the counter.

******************

Another example of his analytical mind:

I sent him to bed. He always reads, or lately he’s been writing in a new journal he got for Christmas, before he goes to sleep.

I was still in the kitchen baking.

Scooter yells down the stairs to me,

“Mom! I know why 7 plus 7 equals 14!”

Math conversations are not unusual for us. Every day he says to me, “Mom, give me a math problem.” and I have to give him a problem like 66 minus 2 divided by 8. He’ll compute it in his brain and come up with the correct answer of 8. He is correct 99.9% of the time. (Remember, he’s in 3rd grade.)

So when he yelled down 7 + 7 to me, I was curious to see what his brain was coming up with. So I asked him to tell me why ‘7 plus 7 equals 14.’

This is what he said,
“Because we know that 7 plus 3 equals 10 and that leaves us 4 left over, so when you add that 4 to 10 you have 14!”

The kid exhausts me sometimes. But then he amazes me. I’m not smart enough to be his mother. Thank heavens his dad is smart!

No comments: