Mar 9, 2012

Memorial Faces

Recently, my beloved Aunt passed away from breast cancer. It was a hard blow for the family. She was the first of my parent’s ‘mature’ siblings to pass away (my mom had a young sister pass away when I was only 6). It was a reminder that life is precious and we should treasure our relationships while we have them.

Like most funeral homes, the people that handled Aunt Mary’s services has an online obituary page.
Included in that page is a link where you can view the slide show/video of pictures of your loved one throughout the years.
It was wonderful for me to view Aunt Mary’s video, in the privacy of my own home,
where I could cry and remember my beautiful Aunt and the wonderful life she lived.

After I viewed Aunt Mary’s pictures
I remembered that I hadn’t viewed the video of the mother of another of my aunts.
Her 93 year old mother passed away recently (a week before Aunt Mary)
and I was unable to attend the funeral.
It was fun seeing Catherine in her younger days, when she was full of happiness and joy. She always carried herself with dignity and grace and was always such a beautiful woman.
I enjoyed seeing photos of my Aunt before she married my mom’s brother,
and seeing my cousins in family photos with the other side of their family.

Once I realized that all these wonderful videos were online, I looked through the larger list of
obituaries to see if there were any other people I might know on the list.
I don’t get the newspaper and I don’t always have the opportunity to know if friends and acquaintances
from my past have passed on.
I found the obituary of a lady that I served in the Primary with over 20 years ago.
She was in the Primary presidency and I was the pianist, when I was newly married to Flynn.
I was shocked to see her name on there.
And again, I realized that life is fleeting, that family and relationships are so very important!
I watched her video.

After watching these three videos in succession I had to pause and think about myself.
I thought about the video someone would make for me one day.
And I thought about the pictures of me that are out there.

Pictures like this:
IMG_5480

or this:
IMG_3618

IMG_3607

this:
Calvin & Michelle 1987

and this:
DSC_0201

are the norm….
NOT
the exception.

I don’t even know where to look to find a picture where
I have a “normal” face.

Hmmmm…..
I feel
VERY SORRY
for the person that has to make my
memorial video!

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm sorry about your Aunt.

You are so right--life is fleeting. The most important thing is family.

I love your pictures--do you really want a video with a bunch of serious pictures where at the end people would ask--WHO WAS THAT????

thorkgal said...

I FINALLY got your blog into my dashboard, or whatever it is. I was feeling like something was missing in the blog world. It was YOU! Yeah... now I can take a deep breath.